Re: Using /usr/lib/gcc-cross/ for triples

On 06/26/2013 12:31 PM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
On 06/19/2013 06:49 PM, Wookey wrote:
Doko - why did this path get changed?

Ping? Doko, any response?

Can you point to the patch where the change was introduced? I have no idea
how to find the patch. Is the package in a repo somewhere?

I found the repo with some help on IRC. Here is the patch which introduced the change:

 http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/gcccvs?view=revision&revision=6387

However, I still don't understand what scenario could lead to a problem. I'll guess, and you tell me if I'm right.

1) We have a arm-linux-gnueabihf installation of debian and we install the gcc package natively. This installs the C runtime files to /usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabihf as it is a native installation. 2) We then install the gcc-arm-linux-gnueabihf cross-compiler package (why would we do that?). This installs the C runtime files to /usr/lib/gcc-cross/arm-linux-gnueabihf as it is a cross installation. 2.1) If the package instead installed the files to /usr/lib/gcc/, the packages would be in conflict. This is the problem. (Why would this be a problem? Is it not reasonable to expect a conflict when installing a cross-compiler for the current native platform?) 2.2) The C runtime files for gcc-arm-linux-gnueabihf actually differ between the cross-compiler and the native compiler. This is the problem, so they must be kept separate.

I guess only one of 2.1 and 2.2 is correct. Can you point out which one? Or is the actual problem something I haven't imagined? Why would someone install a cross compiler packager for the currently-native platform? Why would a packager create such a thing?

Doko please respond. I've seen commits in that repo above from you yesterday, so I have a reasonable assumption you're not afk on vacation or something :).

Thanks,

Steve.