Re: headless LAMP server buying advice: Beaglebone Black or Cubieboard

On Mon, 6 May 2013 15:12:36 +0200
Leonardo Canducci <leonardo.canducci@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know exactly but I guess I need:
> - ethernet
> - 512MB ram or more
> - up-to-date CPU

May I suggest a sheevaplug: http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p-46-sheevaplug-dev-kit.aspx ?

I use one of this, and have a 1Gb ethernet, 512ram, and a decent cpu.

The cpu is not fast as modern cpu, it is like 30% slower of an Cortex A8 at the same clock, and no fpu.  But with a 1.2Ghz clock is not much slower than beaglebone. You don't need a stock kernel, vanilla kernel work just fine (I've compiled kernel 3.6 and I had no problem at all). So it has a very good support.

I'm using one, since 3 years ago and it works fine (except for the power supply that died one year ago, it's a well known issue, I hope they fixed it in recent model).

This is my 2c advice.

Regards,
  Diego.

--