Re: Donation of a Calxeda Highbank node

On Sun, 2013-04-28 at 10:30 -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 09:32:59AM +0200, Peter Palfrader wrote:

> > > Why in the world not?  I'm sure there's no requirement for debian.org
> > > machines to be hardware owned by Debian.  The s390 porter machines/buildds
> > > certainly aren't; I don't see why this machine would necessarily *not* be a
> > > d.o machine managed by DSA.
>
> > > Of course if it's going to be DSA-administered, I'm sure DSA would want
> > > exclusive admin rights on the machine; but that's just common sense, and
> > > AIUI not excluded by the offer.
>
> > The impression I got during the brief from the arm porters is that it is
> > so far unclear how well Debian will run on this nice shiney thing.
> > So for now it's just a test box/early porting box, and the policies and
> > procedures that come with DSAing a machine would be more a hindrance
> > than an asset during that stage.
>
> That's fair, though I think the explicit goal should be to get it
> supported by Debian *so that* it can be used as a buildd.
>
> FWIW, Ubuntu 13.04 ships with support for Highbank using (AIUI) an
> unmodified upstream kernel.  So while there may be some porting work to be
> done before Debian runs out of the box on it, there's prior art and I don't
> imagine the porting work required will be huge.
[...]

The plan of record for Debian armhf kernel support is to introduce a
multi-platform 'armmp' flavour starting with Linux 3.9.  So far as I
know, it would be fairly easy to include Highbank support in that.

Boot loader support is presumably going to require more work.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Sturgeon's Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.