Re: ancient help for a slug

Richard Bown wrote:
Hi Guys
I'm trying to reduce my energy footprint here, and decide to rub the dust off an old NSLU2
It did have Deb on it years ago when I got it, but nowhere did I write down the ssh passwords,
so it was a reflash job.
I just want to use it as a Cups server with just one printer on it.
I see Debian 5 was too big for it, and there is a way of using Debian6 with an external USB HDD.
which is a bit OTT for just a print server.
In the end I flashed it with SlugOSBE, installed Cups, but it wouldn't run as it wanted a module
printer.o
Next attempt was to blow the dust off an old Tosh laptop P2, 233Mhz, it had Debian 6 on it now,
runs slower than the NSLU2 and I still cant get in remotely on port 631, I removed SElinux incase
that was blocking it, but running headless is awkward unless you know your way around Debian.
So Plan C
Find an earlier image of Debian 4 that I can flash the beast with an use the Slug as a print server.
Can anyone assist with a late Debian 4 image , I've hunted and cant find one.

Else its plan D . Throw both away and get something later like a RaspberryPI ( model B). I'd prefer to give the old junk a few years more life if possible
Thanks

I'm using Slugs with Debian "Lenny" for various jobs here, but recent installations /might/ turn out tricky since Debian have archived their repository. The important thing is to not install graphical stuff when setting them up.

On other architectures, I routinely upgrade Debian to a recent (i.e. v3) kernel. I've never summoned up the courage for that on a Slug, because of the difficulty of recovering from a bad kernel in internal Flash.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk