Re: ancient help for a slug

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 18:07:23 +0000
Mark Morgan Lloyd <markMLl.debian-arm@telemetry.co.uk> allegedly wrote:

> I'm using Slugs with Debian "Lenny" for various jobs here, but recent
> installations /might/ turn out tricky since Debian have archived
> their repository. The important thing is to not install graphical
> stuff when setting them up.

I have three slugs. Two running squeeze and one wheezy (I needed the
later kernel for a wifi module).

> On other architectures, I routinely upgrade Debian to a recent (i.e.
> v3) kernel. I've never summoned up the courage for that on a Slug,
> because of the difficulty of recovering from a bad kernel in internal
> Flash.

It takes time (and you do have to be careful as well as patient) but
upgrade to wheezy with a recent(ish) kernel is perfectly possible.

mug:/home/mick# uname -a
Linux mug 3.0.0-1-ixp4xx #1 Sun Aug 28 09:09:57 UTC 2011 armv5tel
GNU/Linux

Mick

blog: baldric.net
gpg fingerprint: FC23 3338 F664 5E66 876B  72C0 0A1F E60B 5BAD D312