Re: Donation of a Calxeda Highbank node

hi,
On Fr, 2013-04-12 at 17:16 +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hello,
>
> OffensiveSecurity owns a Calxeda Highbank cluster of ARM machines[1] and is
> willing to dedicate one of the nodes to Debian. I believe it would make a
> relatively fast ARM autobuilder or porter box. The specs of the hardware (4GB
> RAM, 500 GB SATA drives, 4 Cortex A9 cores at 1.1 to 1.4 GHz) are better than
> most (all?) of Debian's ARM boxes.
>
> However this host runs on Ubuntu by default (12.10 currently).
>
> AFAIK Debian's kernel doesn't support such machines yet, Ubuntu has a special
> ARM flavor called "highbank" [2]. So I'm not sure how we could handle this
> donation right now (putting debian-admin@ in the loop to see what requirements
> they have at this level, and debian-kernel@ to see whether such a flavor would
> be doable for Debian too).
>
> I am however running Debian armel/armhf chroots on such a machine without any
> problem. So it seems that the kernel is the only problematic part.

with 13.04 ubuntus highbank flavour got transitioned into linux-generic
(which is the multiplatform kernel, debian calls it armmp on arm
afaik) ... that should work for you guys too ... there are some
flash-kernel and d-i adjustments in ubuntu that you might want to pull
in for this to work

ciao
	oli