Re: Donation of a Calxeda Highbank node

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 05:16:19PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hello,
>
> OffensiveSecurity owns a Calxeda Highbank cluster of ARM machines[1] and is
> willing to dedicate one of the nodes to Debian. I believe it would make a
> relatively fast ARM autobuilder or porter box. The specs of the hardware (4GB
> RAM, 500 GB SATA drives, 4 Cortex A9 cores at 1.1 to 1.4 GHz) are better than
> most (all?) of Debian's ARM boxes.
>
> However this host runs on Ubuntu by default (12.10 currently).
>
> AFAIK Debian's kernel doesn't support such machines yet, Ubuntu has a special
> ARM flavor called "highbank" [2]. So I'm not sure how we could handle this
> donation right now (putting debian-admin@ in the loop to see what requirements
> they have at this level, and debian-kernel@ to see whether such a flavor would
> be doable for Debian too).
[...]

Starting with Linux 3.9 there will be an 'armmp' (multi-platform)
flavour for armhf.  All support for new ARMv7 platforms should be
added to that flavour by enabling the relevant drivers and DeviceTree
files, not by adding new flavours.

Highbank seems to be at least mostly ready for multi-platform.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
                                                              - Albert Camus