ARMHF - Mediaplayer software?

Having heard a lot about the Raspberry Pi I got myself a pair.
They're very nice things, but one thing drives me mad:
They suck for Video playback.
Having tried mplayer, vlc, XMMS and basically everything I get with
apt-cache search video | grep player
I am out of ideas.

A static picture with stuttering sound is not exactly what I consider useful,
especially not from such lowly formats as a VCD compliant MPEG1 or
a DVD compliant MPEG2 stream.

Is there any player that makes proper use of the hardware?
I read its capable of doing HD playback, but maybe it needs some very low
compressed video format for that?

I'm using Raspian with armhf kernel, which I think should do the job better
than a softfloat armel kernel.

Any help most warmly welcome!
--
Rüdiger Leibrandt