Re: Replacing/upgrading the disks on an SS4000e

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 6:51 PM, Chris Wilkinson <kinsham@verizon.net> wrote:
The only way I know to do that is to swap in the disks, reset the symlinks
in /boot to point to the original 2.6.32-5 kernel and reboot so that the d-i
in old kernel starts and installs Debian and configures the RAID-5 on the
new disks. After that's done the symlinks can be set back to the new kernel.
I wouldn't bother about the /boot symlinks, really. I did that for completeness.
If you want to install from scratch just copy the .deb images to a separate location
and run dpkg -i after the install is complete and run flash-kernel.

Alternatively you can copy the relevant vmlinuz, initrd.img and
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/ somewhere safe, copy back after the install and flash-kernel.

Is there a less convoluted and tedious way to do that? Perhaps there is a
way to start the d-i when booting from the new kernel?
Sounds like something that is possible by passing d-i to as init parameter,
but I don't know that. Anyone?

But if you want to move to RAID-5 from 1 disk and retain the current setup you
could add the 3 disks, make a RAID-5 device on them, create file systems,
copy data from the 1 disk to the newly created RAID and in redboot, modify the
root kernel parameter to point to your new /dev/md0

If you made your RAID-5 a RAID-5 with a spare, you could add your intial disk to it
after the whole thing is complete.

And last thought: I'd prefer RAID-10 on 4 disks that RAID-5 or 5+1 on SS4000-E.
CPU is slow on this anyway, don't make it churn CRCs.

Maciej