Replacing/upgrading the disks on an SS4000e

Now that Maciej has shown us how to build a new kernel for the SS4000e (big
thank you for that!), it's time to replace the existing single disk I used
for experimenting with a proper set of 4 bigger ones for a RAID-5 setup.

The only way I know to do that is to swap in the disks, reset the symlinks
in /boot to point to the original 2.6.32-5 kernel and reboot so that the d-i
in old kernel starts and installs Debian and configures the RAID-5 on the
new disks. After that's done the symlinks can be set back to the new kernel.

Is there a less convoluted and tedious way to do that? Perhaps there is a
way to start the d-i when booting from the new kernel?

Chris