Re: arm build hardware

On 08/03/13 19:11, peter green wrote:
I run a debian derivative called raspbian and i'm looking into a new build cluster both to give more power for the jessie campaign and to migrate the cluster out of mike's basement. I had been looking egarly at the openbrix zero but it looks like that project has been abandoned . I've thought through a list of requirements and nice to have's and am currently looking at two boards the nitrogen6x (with 2GB ram option) and the arndaleboard.

(Re-posting to the list, I replied only to Peter before.)

Have you come across the cubieboard <http://cubieboard.org/>. It only has 1Gb of RAM, and a single core Cortex A8 CPU@1GHz, but it is a quarter of the price of the nitrogen6x (Which also only has 1Gb of RAM unless you pay an extra $50) so it might be more cost effective to more of them, and buy only one or two larger boards to build the most memory hungry packages. It is the size of a Raspberry Pi.

The other option would be to approach one of the System integrators who a working on dense rack mountable ARM servers for the data centre and ask them if they would sponsor you by providing some hardware. You project must get a great deal of traffic, and a "Your add here" at the top of your home page would go a long way. The company I work for is a medium sized Dell costumer, (To the tune of about $10k of servers per month) and I know that several of us are also Raspberry Pi enthusiasts.

You might also try approaching ARM directly, as they might have some better development hardware they could lend you. I have a friend who works for them on gcc support. I could approach him if you think it might be helpful.

--
David Pottage