Re: Fwd: Help needed debugging on ARM

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 10:48:00AM +0200, Michael Wild wrote:
> On 08/29/2012 11:04 AM, Michael Wild wrote:
> > On 08/29/2012 10:48 AM, Stefan Peter wrote:
> >> Hi Michael,

> >> I don't think that this problem is armel related. The error message from
> >> [1] indicates "Extra }, or forgotten $." when building the documentation
> >> and the release notes for 0.1.1 from [2] mention "Markup fixes in the
> >> documentation ". It seems to me that these two issues may very well be
> >> realated.
> >> You may want to build 0.1.1 (or even 0.1.2, released 2012-07-23) in
> >> order the validate the issue. A diff for the plain_Label.asy file of
> >> these three versions may shed some light, too.
> >>
> >> Regards
> >>
> >> Stefan Peter
> >>
> >> [1]
> >> https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=freefoam&arch=armel&ver=0.1.0%2Bdfsg-1&stamp=1345145759
> >> [2] http://freefoam.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > I only get this errors on ARM, all other architectures are fine. The
> > "markup-fixes" you mention are related to the asciidoc source, not the
> > asymptote images.
> >
> > Michael
> >

> Wow, that's fun. I got the QEMU VM up and running, and guess what. No
> error! Works just fine. So either it is my setup, the fact that I'm
> running inside QEMU, or these build failures are sporadic.
>
> Could it be a difference in the CPU type? I chose Versatile/PB while the
> failing buildd for armel (alwyn) is a Marvell Feroceon (Kirkwood?).
> However, AFAIK, this option is not available with QEMU... What should I use?
>
> Any other advice on how I could get to the bottom of this issue?

Some ARMs have issues with bad data alignment.  Others do not.  I believe
qemu also has no issue with bad alignment.

So if the program happens to fail because of bad alignment, then only
certain kinds of systems would see it.

Of course it also seems this particular package is failing on almost
every architecture in some way.

Annoyingly it doesn't use parallel build (annoying when you have 24
threads on 6 cores on a powerpc box with nothing better to do).  Also I
can't help but think there is some serious misuse of doxygen going on
giving how much time it spends with a python script "fixing" the output
doxygen made.

I tried to see if I could build 0.1.2 instead, but that didn't seem to
go any better yet.  I may poke it a bit more.

--
Len Sorensen