Re: armel qualification for Wheezy

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 05:15:41PM +0300, Riku Voipio wrote:
>On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 10:00:53AM +0200, Luk Claes wrote:
>> ancina is a developer's board, so what components should be in the
>> shipping if we go that route?
>
>The board, memory at least, hard drive would be great as it would save
>the pain of reinstall. The rest (PSU, cables) I think Steve and Mark can
>source if you have other uses for the ones currently in ancina.

Yup, shouldn't be too hard.

>If we really want to replace ancina quickly, we could get some i.mx53
>quick start boards like the ones currently used as armhf buildd's. I'd
>like not to introduce new hardware models as buildd's unless they are
>significantly faster as the old ones.

ACK.

Then again, the imx53s are not as stable as I had hoped. Of the 9 I
set up, 1 is just about dead and another is dying. They're also really
unhappy with the pl2303 USB serial adapters I've got, which is a PITA.

>> On another note, the only reason ancina cannot get OOB access is because
>> it's not rack mountable. We can easily provide OOB access for rack
>> mountable things and probably could even provide more rackspace for
>> Debian things (have to get that confimed though if it's something worth
>> considering?).
>
>I think ancina should fit in a rack case just fine - Just can't be attached
>to standard ATX screw locations. I believe the mv78x00 boards like
>ancina at ARM are installed into a rack somehow. Steve knows details I
>think?

They're in a bigger version of the mini-rack kit that the armhf
machines live in; this was the inspiration for that setup. I didn't
get a photo before I installed them, unfortunately. Imagine a
double-height (i.e. 6U) version of what's in the photo at
http://blog.einval.com/2011/09/05#armhf_buildds. It wouldn't be hard
to set up something similar again, but almost definitely not worth it
for just a single board.

The new imx6 boards look like they might be helpful, but again they're
designed as dev boards and I'm not sure of the exact specs for what we
might be able to get hold of. Highbank is where I want to go, and I'm
hoping to talk to some Calxeda folks next week in HK so I can pester
them again for hardware... :-)

"Further comment on how I feel about IBM will appear once I've worked out
 whether they're being malicious or incompetent. Capital letters are forecast."
 Matthew Garrett, http://www.livejournal.com/users/mjg59/30675.html