Re: IPv6 on sheeva-plug with new squeeze kernel

On Tue, 15 May 2012 15:17:59 +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 02:28:57PM +0100, John Winters wrote:
On 15/05/12 12:56, Arnaud Patard (Rtp) wrote:
[snip]
Please make sure that the new kernel has been flashed and that you've
rebooted after that.

Seconded.

I find I need to do an explicit flash-kernel on both my SheevaPlugs
after any kind of upgrade involving the kernel.

Despite the name, it doesn't actually flash anything on a SheevaPlug;
it just builds new uInitrd and uImage files in the /boot directory.

That's all it needs to do on some platforms, yes. I blogged about the
setup I did for the imx53 and marvell buildd boards at ARM, which
includes a bit of tweaking to make sure f-k is run
automatically. Changes in newer packages (since squeeze) will make
these obsolete, but if you're not there yet they may help you too.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

The machine is my ipv6 gateway -- it's sole reason for existing is to handle ipv6. So, what I did (in desperation, before the replies about flash-kernel started coming in) was install the newest kernel from squeeze-backports, "linux-image-2.6.39-bpo.2-kirkwood". This dragged in new initramfs-tools and linux-base packages. Between the three of them these upgrades may have done a flash-kernel -- as well as installing the new kernel image.

In any case, that seems to have turned the trick -- though not, perhaps, for the reason I originally thought.

All's well that ends well!

Rick

PS: I've done regular upgrades on this machine in the past, some of which have involved new linux-image packages. I don't understand why I haven't stumbled on this bug before this. Any thought?