Re: Novena open laptop

On Mon, 2012-12-17 at 11:59 +0100, Jeremiah C. Foster wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 01:58:22PM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > Bunnie Huang and others are working on a ARM-based laptop 'Novena' with
> > open hardware and mostly open firmware:
> > <http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=2686>,
> > <http://www.kosagi.com/w/index.php?title=Novena_Main_Page>.
> > Would anyone care to get involved in this and work out what's needed to
> > support this in Debian?
>
> I would be willing to do this. I may be able to get funded to
> purchase a unit for testing.

It may be a bit early for that.

> > The SoC is a Freescale i.MX6Q, which should be able to run the armhf
> > port.  We currently have an mx5 kernel flavour for Freescale's previous
> > generation, but it looks like it would be possible to support both with
> > a single configuration (plus DT) now.
>
> I've poked at iMX 5 kernels and such, I've also worked a bit on
> iMX 6 so I may be able to help here as well.
>
> What type of work do you expect? Testing Debian kernels and such?

Talk to them and find out how where they are with software, what Debian
porters and maintainers could do to help them.  I assume they will be
able to get any necessary kernel changes upstream themselves, but if
they have trouble with that then some of us might be able to help.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Life is like a sewer: