Re: Installing Debian on Qnap TS-219 PII

> Am 10.11.2012 16:29, schrieb Hoshpak:
>> Also present on the system is a daemon called "qwatchdogd" which seems
>> to ping the watchdog device every second. I couldn't find a way to
>> disable it (qwatchdogd has a "-d" switch but after the next reboot the
>> watchdog is active again). I couldn't find a kernel module responsible
>> for the watchdog functionality so it might be compiled into the stock
>> firmware kernel. Does this information help to identify the watchdog device?
>>
>> So it seems to perform a successful installation, I would need a Debian
>> installer with both a kernel that supports the watchdog device and a
>> running daemon pinging the watchdog device, right?
>
> I again got back to the stock firmware and found some more information
> about the watchdog. I found the directories ./devices/platform/orion_wdt
> ./bus/platform/devices/orion_wdt which I believe indicate that they use
> the orion_wdt-module compiled in which is also available in the Debian
> kernel.
>
> It was possible to use the orion_wdt module from the regular linux-image
> package on the busybox shell of the Debian installer and it created
> /dev/watchdog as a character device. The binary "qwatchdogd" would also
> run in the installer enviroment, pinging the watchdog device. But still,
> the device keeps resetting itself after 5 minutes.

hm. So this may mean there's an other watchdog.

> After looking again at the init scripts of the stock firmware, I found
> the following lines:
>
> /sbin/daemon_mgr qwatchdogd start "/sbin/qwatchdogd -t 1 &"
> /sbin/pic_raw 103 # disable pic watch dog
>
> So could it be that there is yet another watchdog present in one of the
> micro controllers used in the device? I also tried copying the pic_raw

given the lines you've quoted, it's possible that they're using the PIC
ucontroller as watchdog too. I knew there was a PIC but I guess it's new
that it's used as watchdog too

> binary over to the Debian installer but this one is linked against way
> too much shared libraries that are not present in the installer. Any
> ideas how to proceed from here?

It would be interesting to look at how "pic_raw 103" is working. For
instance, maybe booting the stock os, use pic_raw and then reboot may
disable the watchdog. Unfortunately, uboot may restart/reconfigure the
watchdog.

An other possibility is to try something like echo -n 'g' > /dev/ttyS1
after booting the installer. This may be dangerous. I'm assuming that
the PIC is connected on the serial port 1 and that pic_raw is only
writing a char to the serial port like on other qnap. This may be wrong
so it may 'upset' the ucontroller and break something.

Arnaud