Re: Installing Debian on Qnap TS-219 PII

Am 10.11.2012 16:29, schrieb Hoshpak:
> Also present on the system is a daemon called "qwatchdogd" which seems
> to ping the watchdog device every second. I couldn't find a way to
> disable it (qwatchdogd has a "-d" switch but after the next reboot the
> watchdog is active again). I couldn't find a kernel module responsible
> for the watchdog functionality so it might be compiled into the stock
> firmware kernel. Does this information help to identify the watchdog device?
>
> So it seems to perform a successful installation, I would need a Debian
> installer with both a kernel that supports the watchdog device and a
> running daemon pinging the watchdog device, right?

I again got back to the stock firmware and found some more information
about the watchdog. I found the directories ./devices/platform/orion_wdt
./bus/platform/devices/orion_wdt which I believe indicate that they use
the orion_wdt-module compiled in which is also available in the Debian
kernel.

It was possible to use the orion_wdt module from the regular linux-image
package on the busybox shell of the Debian installer and it created
/dev/watchdog as a character device. The binary "qwatchdogd" would also
run in the installer enviroment, pinging the watchdog device. But still,
the device keeps resetting itself after 5 minutes.

After looking again at the init scripts of the stock firmware, I found
the following lines:

/sbin/daemon_mgr qwatchdogd start "/sbin/qwatchdogd -t 1 &"
/sbin/pic_raw 103 # disable pic watch dog

So could it be that there is yet another watchdog present in one of the
micro controllers used in the device? I also tried copying the pic_raw
binary over to the Debian installer but this one is linked against way
too much shared libraries that are not present in the installer. Any
ideas how to proceed from here?

Helmut