Re: Can't get a Linux 3.6-rc zImage smaller than 2MB

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 1:19 PM, Eric Cooper <ecc@cmu.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 12:33:27PM +0200, Maciej Soltysiak wrote:
>> Do you mean this cross-compiler?
>> http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software/sourcery-tools/sourcery-codebench/editions/lite-edition/
>>
>> The lite-version of their product?
>>
>> Looks like codesourcery is now mentor graphics...
>
> Yes; also they make you register first and then email you a download
> link.  I chose the tarball rather than their binary installer,
> untarred it in /opt, and then used commands like:
>
>     make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=/opt/arm-2012.03/bin/arm-none-eabi- oldconfig
>     make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=/opt/arm-2012.03/bin/arm-none-eabi- -j 6 uImage
>
> etc.  Hope this helps.
Ah, make uImage you say... I tried both with codesourcery and
arm-linux-gnueabi from emdebian.org and I can see now a small (around
1.3 MB) uImage file in arch/arm/boot!
Maybe my mistake was that I was doing:
make ... all
make ... modules_install install
to get the kernel, modules, then vmlinuz and System.map placed in /boot.
That probably deploys the wrong image file.

I guess I can try to flash SS4000-E's mtd with a non-modular uImage
kernel and get away with not doing initrd.

Still to check that though...

Regards,
Maciej