Re: Can't get a Linux 3.6-rc zImage smaller than 2MB

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 9:46 PM, Maciej Soltysiak <maciej@soltysiak.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Was anyone successful in getting a 3.6-rc5 kernel zImage smaller than 2MB?
> I'm trying to fit this onto SS4000-e and I've been failing desperately
> for the last couple of days.

 isn't there a parameter which allows you to select the modules that
go into an initrd?  hmmm.... /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf -
modules=most

 also it looks like you can specify COMPRESS=xz which, assuming you've
enabled xz compression in the linux kernel, would give you a bit more
space.

 also are you using busybox?  again, that would likely save some
space, esp. if you compiled it specially and *only* with the actual
functions you need.

 send a link to a file online where the list of files is, in the
initrd - it will help check what's going on here.

 .... but, just for a laugh please do tell me the size of the kernel
you've got.  i remember doing 2.4.24 kernels and they were only 600k.
we converted to 2.6.8 or thereabouts and that *immediately* shot up to
900k (exactly the same config options).  hilarious.  not.

l.