Re: Can't get a Linux 3.6-rc zImage smaller than 2MB

On 12 September 2012 19:46, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl@lkcl.net> wrote:
>> I went down from whopping 5MB to 2.1MB
>
>   i was expecting a large number but not that large.
>
>> I also tried to use a .config file from
>> linux-image-3.2.0-3-iop32x_3.2.23-1_armel.deb
>> and it's still is a big image.
>
>  i'm not impressed.  what the fuck's going on with the linux kernel??

This almost always happens to all software. Someone writes a small,
efficient core of code which then gets added to and added to and added
to - each change being well-meant, of course - until it is huge and
bloated. Then someone gets sick of it and says "I know, I'll write a
new, small, efficient core of code"... and the cycle repeats.

Each piece of software has a high point at which functionality over
bloat hits a maximum, followed by decline. For MSWord it was Word 6.
For Windows it was Windows 3.11. For Mozilla it was about a year after
the open-sourcing of netscape, when it was called Firebird. For Linux
it was somewhere in the 2.4 series.

Of course, it's a wonderful piece of software, runs on anything and
does everything.
I am surprised there are not more minimalist monomaniacs involved in
keeping the core code small.