Re: uboot-envtools parameter file for Marvel OpenRD "ultimate"

On Aug 12, 2012, at 12:22 AM, shawn wrote:

> On Sat, 2012-08-11 at 23:47 -0700, Rick Thomas wrote:
>> The "examples" directory for the uboot-envtools contains sample
>> fw_env.config files for several machine types, but not one that seems
>> to relate to my Marvell OpenRD "ultimate" box.  Does anybody on this
>> list have one?
>>
>> Given the popularity of Debian on the Marvell "plug" machines, does
>> anybody know why they and the OpenRD boxes aren't represented there?
>>
>> Should I submit a "wishlist" bug?
>
> This works for my sheevaplug, however I had to change by root cmd
> partitioning to have a partition for the start of the NAND:
>
> /dev/mtd0       0xa0000 0x020000        0x20000
>

> #my commandline:
> # cat /proc/cmdline
> console=ttyS0,115200 ubi.mtd=2 root=ubi0:rootfs rootfstype=ubifs rw
> mtdparts=orion_nand:0x100000@0x0(u-boot),0x400000@0x100000(uImage),0x1fb00000@0x500000(rootfs) rw

Thanks, Shawn!  I'm not much up on the mtd stuff (read: while I understand all of the words and most of the syntax, the "cmdline" part of your reply is still greek to me).  Is there a good reference I could read on how it works and interacts between Uboot and Linux?  Failing that, could you give me an explanation of what your cmdline stuff does and why it's needed?

Thanks!

Rick