Re: ARM dev boards for Debian and QEMU

Hi David,

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 3:39 PM, David Given <dg@cowlark.com> wrote:

> If you're doing kernel development, qemu has one killer feature in that
> it's got gdb integration. You can, at any point, halt the emulated
> processor and debug what it's doing. Which means that when you get a
> mysterious triple fault for no apparent reason you can actually find out
> *why*. It makes early-stage debugging so, so much easier.

This is indeed a killer :)

Well I am progressing with QEMU, can boot a fresh debian install, can
get the linux sources, have descend NW feature allowing ssh/scp both
way for the nat'ed NW (ok with me).

Now the next step is the kernel build, I applied my good ol x86
receipe and it fail to build a kernel.

Basically I did most of needed apt-get instal I suppose
Then I cd to my src dir (from  linux-source-2.6.32.tar.bz2)
bring the current running (new installed) kernel config

cp /boot/config-2.6.32-5-versatile .config

then issue my build like this

fakeroot  make-kpkg --revision=A1  --initrd kernel_image modules_image
 kernel_debug

and it fail with

  LD      init/mounts.o
/bin/sh: arm-linux-gnueabi-ld: not found
make[2]: *** [init/mounts.o] Error 127
make[1]: *** [init] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/src-2.6.32-prf1'
make: *** [debian/stamp/build/kernel] Error 2

In the full build log I see
make   CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- ARCH=arm

Is it expected to see cross build while I am running qemu-system-arm I
thought all was QEMU'led os + all prog started uner QEMU...

Beside googled it and it seesm non trivial to build the kernel then?

Any ideas?

Thanx in advance.
Cheers,
Phi