Re: armel qualification for Wheezy

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 08:59:57AM +0100, Tixy wrote:
> Not that horrible. I just did a kernel build on my laptop in an ARM
> chroot and it took 19m43s, doing it as a cross-build took 1m14s. I
> haven't got my Pandaboard setup to do a comparison, but I
> suspect it wouldn't be much faster than my emulated ARM run.

Well complete system emulation is very very slow, which is what I have
used in qemu.  I had forgotten it did the instruction emulation only
as well.

> I'm not talking about using QEMU as a system emulator, just an
> instruction set emulator. So ARM processes are running and scheduled as
> native X86 PC processes, just using QEMU to interpret the instructions
> in ARM ELF files. (There may be other magic going on, all I really know
> about QEMU is how to make use of it following cut'n'paste instruction
> from the web).

That would probably be faster.  I haven't tried that method.

> In the kernel building example I mentioned I was using "make -j8" and
> that went a _lot_ faster than -j1; I didn't wait to get final timings
> for a single threaded build.

OK, using the instruction emulation, then you could do that.  That's a
pretty good idea.  I will have to play with that some more some time.

--
Len Sorensen