Re: armhf multiarch tuple

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 10:53:47AM -0500, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
>Hi,

Hi Jonathan,

I was expecting you to ask, based on the wiki changes. :-)

>Based on the "Questions regarding armhf port for Raspberry Pi" thread,
>I think some people believe that ARMv6+VFP binaries using the hard
>float ABI should be binary compatible with Debian armhf (and in
>particular it should be possible to swap in packages built that way
>one at a time and still have a working Debian system on an ARMv7+
>machine).
>
>Is that assumption wrong?  It comes up in the definition of the armhf
>triplet at <http://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/Tuples>.  Please forgive
>my ignorance.

They'll be upwardly-compatible (i.e. they'll work on v7), but not in
reverse. armhf is explicitly defined to be ARMv7+, using VFPv3-D16 (no
Neon). That's standardised across distros too.

There's a chance that some of the armhf binaries might run on v6, but
if so it's only by chance and not guaranteed.

"When C++ is your hammer, everything looks like a thumb." -- Steven M. Haflich