Re: Linux 2.6.35.3 Kernel for ARM and SATA problems

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Phil Endecott <spam_from_debian_arm@chezphil.org> wrote:
It works for me.  I seem to recall a small amount of agro getting the kernel
config right, but u-boot was always able to recognise the device.  I suggest
that you find (borrow) another SATA device to test with.
Good luck!

I was able to borrow another SATA drive and that works, thank heaven.  I thought I was going crazy for a while -- don't ask how many times I re-compiled the kernel.

I did trace the problems I having to the ahci code in the kernel not properly handling an ahci CONINIT event generated by my WD5000BEVT drive.  Seems this drive has extra SATA features implemented so that it can be used in hot-plug arrays and these features aren't recognized by the kernel driver so it just seems to shut down the drive and ignore it.  The other SATA drive that I do have working with the kernel doesn't implement the extra features so the kernel is happy.  Presumably these problems were fixed in later kernels and the patches didn't make it into Freescales 2.6.35.3 branch.  On the other hand, the kernel might be fine and the firmware in the drive isn't conforming to the ahci specs, but I think that wold cause problems with the drive on other systems.  I'm going to keep looking into this as I do want to get my 500GB SATA drive working with the iMX53 Quick Start.

Mike