Re: still trouble with the NSLU2

Nicola Bernardini wrote:

>> I've seen segfaults from apt-get on Squeeze running on SPARC, but due
>> to pressure of other commitments haven't had time to follow them up-
>> I reverted to Lenny for the machine I was working on.
>>
>> Knowing that both SPARC and (the variant of ARM in) the NSLU2 are
>> susceptible to alignment errors, that would be where I'd look.

@Mark: I don't think it can be alignement errors,  because  such  errors
would appear on all NSLU2 running Debian, while I seem to  be  the  only
one to have such problems. Thank you anyway for the suggestion.

It would apply to everybody running NSLU2s with /that/ version of Debian, which I suspect is a very small number of people. I'd suggest reverting to Lenny, exercising the unit thoroughly (e.g. do a kernel build) and then basing your opinion of its reliability on what you see.

You should always check the power supply of the nslu2, I had mor than one that failed softly, exposing various strange errors.

I see. What should I test?  that  the  nominal  voltage  is  proper  and
stable?  However,  if  that  was  the  case,  the  machine  would   fail
erratically, I believe, while it appears to fail quite deterministically
(upon an apt-get upgrade, for example).

Basic parameters are DC voltage on load, and AC ripple on load. You'll probably need fairly decent test equipment to see the switching frequency.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk