Re: single device to replace ADSL router, WiFi/Ethernet router, SIP router?

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 06:39:10PM +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> It's certainly an... interesting featureset. I certainly wouldn't
> denigrate it, for the same reason that I don't denigrate the effort
> that our ISP (Andrews & Arnold, who design their own hardware when
> necessary) is putting into trying to find an efficient single-box
> solution for IPv6.

It would be an interesting combination, but not one I expect to be
popular enough to be mass produced unfortunately.  Of course it also
depends what price someone is willing to pay for it.  Of course what is
popular changes over time.

I am surprised that I could find a few ADSL2+ routers with SIP and
FXS/FXO ports.  That was closer than I had expected.

In terms of being unbrickable, I am very impressed by my i.MX53 quick
start board.  The bootloader is on microSD.  Any actual board designed
with it could have the boot loader on a SATA disk if desired.  There is
no boot rom at all in the design as far as I can tell.

So perhaps designing such a system would be the way to go if there is
going to be a need for enough of them to justify the design cost.

--
Len Sorensen