Re: single device to replace ADSL router, WiFi/Ethernet router, SIP router?

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

I'm looking for a single device (to reduce cabling) to replace this:

      * it needs to run Debian or have at least some potential to do
        that. I don't want to have to deal with any pre-installed OSes,
        custom old OpenWRT builds running Linux 2.4 or other stupidity.
      * it needs either FXO/FXS ports or some sort of cordless phone
        integrated with it.
* it needs to have ADSL2+ support, * it needs WiFi, preferably something supported by ath5k/ath9k or
        OpenFWWF
      * it needs 4 Ethernet ports, speed isn't too important
      * it needs to either support coreboot or not be x86 (ARM/MIPS/etc)
      * it needs to be unbrickable, via semi-read-only secondary
        bootloader or whatever.
      * internal SATA or eSATA would be nice so that it has useful
        amounts of storage and can be used as a NAS
      * a few USB ports would be nice
      * some hardware expandability would be nice, miniPCI or whatever

Honestly, that's not realistic.  Too weird a combined featureset.
Especially the cordless phone bit.

It's certainly an... interesting featureset. I certainly wouldn't denigrate it, for the same reason that I don't denigrate the effort that our ISP (Andrews & Arnold, who design their own hardware when necessary) is putting into trying to find an efficient single-box solution for IPv6.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk