Re: Debian GNU/Linux on tablet hardware

Hello Luke

Le Saturday 3 December 2011 22:36:41, vous avez écrit :
> about the digital photo frame idea: that's an even simpler version of
> a tablet, effectively.  are you looking to build it yourself? if so,
> below

No really build it myself.

First, we need a prototype to develop our software on it. The proto can be any
ARM based card plugged to a screen. We're currently playing with a beagleboard
and an igep 0020 card. We can can plug an USB wifi and a USB IR receiver to
play with (may be a home theater remote like this [1]).

Then, we'd need to field test our device. This could be done with netbooks or
small tablets, but not with a bunch of boards and wires ;-) . We'd need ~ 10
of them to lend to family and neighbours and get feedbacks.

Once this is done, we'll need a small serie (~ 100 depending on price) to
really get serious.

Regarding the device, we'd need something quite standard. The screen should be
at least 800x600. Bigger would be better, but the device price for the small
serie will be the main limiting factor.

Regarding user input, I'm wondering if a touchscreen would not be better than
buttons behind the frame. Navigating in a menus with these rear buttons is not
user friendly. But buttons are needed in case customer loose the remote
control. May be a touchscreen as a fallback is better for users. Still
scratching head there.

> the right kind of low-speed, low-resolution LCD panel (800x600,
> 800x480, 480x320 etc.) you could almost connect it up directly to the
> EOMA-PCMCIA connector.  if you didn't need a brightness control, that
> would bring the cost down as well.  the IR receiver you can get as a
> USB device.  if you kept it _that_ simple you'd hardly need a PCB at
> all!

That would be better: I've not done HW design for a while (~ 20 years).

All the best

Dominique

[1] http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00101489.html
--