Re: Does anyone recommend the Smart Book from Always Innovating

On 14 November 2011 11:05, Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de> wrote:
> 1) they can't even keep their server running:
>
> http://www.genesi-usa.com/products/smartbook is dead.

yup, already on it. Apologies for the inconvenience.

> 2) It is slower (800 MHz vs. 1GHz)

agreed. But if clock speed is an issue, I would instead suggest the
AC100, but yes I agree that every bit helps and in that case AI wins.
Btw, next month we'll release our new iMX53 boards which are also
1Ghz.

> 3) It is just a Laptop, not also a tablet (and no MID)

Agreed as well, but OTOH our smartbook costs less than half than the
combined AI smartbook tablet+kbd+MID combo -if you would like to
compare them, then compare them as laptops, no point comparing a
tablet to a laptop. So I would argue that someone that wants all 3 of
those, they should get the AI smartbook, if someone wants just a
laptop, I am confident that our smartbook looks like a better deal.

> 4) Only one battery

yes a 3 cell one, with ~7hours uptime (it's not a joke, 7h even more
without wifi is what I typically get from mine). it's a feature not a
bug :)

> 5) No internal usb slots to add extras

I fail to understand that point, add what? It's not like there is huge
space available in the smartbook case anyway -and that was the point.
There are 2 external USB slots, one SD card slot and one mini-SD card
slot -plus a SIM card slot in case you want 3G connectivity as well.
What more would you like to see/add inside the case? I know I would
like ethernet builtin but unfortunately it takes costs quite higher,
and I don't think that's what you mean anyway.

Regards

Konstantinos