Re: X video drivers appropriate for ARM?

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 12:32 AM, Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011, Colin Tuckley wrote:
>> I expect the number of boards with PCIe to increase slowly since the ARM
>> Versatile Express reference board has PCIe connectors. These are not
>> currently used because the design expects the root complex to be on the
>> processor tile and none of the current production tiles have one
>> implemented.
>
>  Still, there are very little boards with working PCI or PCIe.
>
>  Also, many ARM boards come with a builtin GPU which isn't PCI/PCIe.
>
>  Plus, the drivers which Bryce listed are mostly for very old and
>  nowadays rare graphics cards.
>

>  It's easy enough to pull these drivers again if they every become
>  useful; I suspect other ARM-specific drivers for powervr, mali, or dove
>  are far more useful.

 yehhhs... and proprietary right now, so not going to happen.  btw
that reminds me: if anybody wishes to enter a proposal with the CELF
to bid for, either as a group or as individuals, for the upcoming
funding to reverse-engineer PowerVR SGX, *do* put your name down:

 http://elinux.org/Create_Open_Source_PowerVR_GPU_driver

 i've made it clear that i am happy to step down from the role, and/or
play a "back-seat" role as reverse-engineering advisor, to anyone who
comes forward.  i'd really really much prefer that.

 we *have* to start somewhere, which is usually what i'm good at
(having done both the nt domains reverse-engineering that kick-started
samba into a new level, _and_ the reverse-engineering for exchange 5.0
which kick-started the entire openchange project into existence); the
funding will at least make sure that that *can* be started.

 and if nothing else it will shove a rocket up imgtec's backside get
them to f*****g well move on their "promise" to release entirely free
software powervr sgx source code.  which, btw, is ported from win32
drivers *shudder* and they run a script on it to strip out all
comments *sigh*...

 l.