Re: X video drivers appropriate for ARM?

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 9:57 PM, Bryce Harrington <bryce@canonical.com> wrote:
> I am reviewing the default X drivers included in xorg for arm, and
> notice there are a number which are pretty obscure and perhaps
> irrelevant.  I'm wondering if we can safely drop most of these from
> xserver-xorg-video-all?
>
>  xserver-xorg-video-apm
>  xserver-xorg-video-ark
>  xserver-xorg-video-ati
>  xserver-xorg-video-chips
>  xserver-xorg-video-cirrus
>  xserver-xorg-video-fbdev
>  xserver-xorg-video-i128
>  xserver-xorg-video-i740
>  xserver-xorg-video-mga
>  xserver-xorg-video-neomagic
>  xserver-xorg-video-rendition
>  xserver-xorg-video-s3
>  xserver-xorg-video-s3virge
>  xserver-xorg-video-savage
>  xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion
>  xserver-xorg-video-sis
>  xserver-xorg-video-sisusb
>  xserver-xorg-video-tdfx
>  xserver-xorg-video-trident
>  xserver-xorg-video-tseng
>  xserver-xorg-video-vesa
>  xserver-xorg-video-voodoo
>
> >From talking with lool and jcristau, it sounds like only -fbdev is
> really needed from this list.  (Drivers that seem worth including such
> as -dovefb, -omapfb, -imx, etc. are not in the list and perhaps should,
> but that is a separate issue.)

 there's an s3c6410 one as well, somewhere around.

 the questions that should be asked are:

* are there any PCI / AGP / PCI-e ARM-based motherboards out there? (i
know of one or two PCI-based ones - certainly no AGP ones.  there
*does* however exist the OpenRD Ultimate which has a PCI-e connector,
and the increase in speed of ARM CPUs you *might* regret removing
them, as more modern ARM systems with PCI-e become more prevalent.)

* are there any vesa ones? (vesa is an x86 BIOS thing!)

* are there any sis USB ones?  well, it's USB so ... yes!

and there's one more.... darn it... displaylink - yep, that's the one.
 i'm not sure if sisusb contains a displaylink chip, i don't think it
does - it's something different.

 so i'd say definitely the vesa one could go, the sisusb one
definitely keep, fbdev definitely keep, but going through the list to
check which ones have PCI-e graphics cards? eurrrgh, good luck :)

 but, yeah, certainly if you say "is it PCI / AGP only, if so it's out
the window" then the really old ones where the companies have gone
bust or just stopped doing graphics could definitely go - there's a
list of obsolete graphics companies at wikipedia.

 good luck! :)

 l.