Re: flashing fails due to size issue during upgrade

* Björn Wetterbom <bjohv052@gmail.com> [2011-02-21 21:18]:
> So what's the bottom line of this for the average user? Should I
> take any precautionary measures before upgrading my slug to Squeeze
> (I will of course follow the instructions in the release notes)? Is
> it clear why Jeffrey's ramdisk didn't fit in the flash?

I've investigated the problem in the meantime.  On a "normal" NSLU2
system running squeeze (normal = root is on extX, not on LVM or
something like that) the ramdisk is 6108309 bytes.  The ramdisk
partition is 6291456 bytes large, so it will just fit.  But under
certain scenarios (e.g. root on LVM), additional modules will be added
and the ramdisk won't fit.

The bottom line is: users should make sure to use MODULES=dep to
generate their initramfs.  Even if a MODULES=most initramfs will fit
today, there's no guarantee that it will fit in the future;
MODULES=dep makes sure that only the modules you need are put into the
initramfs.

So: before you upgrade, check whether there's a file on your NSLU@
called /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/driver-policy that contains
MODULES=dep
If not, create such a file:

  echo "MODULES=dep" > /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/driver-policy

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/