flashing fails due to size issue during upgrade

Hi everyone,

One of my slugs is still in the process of upgrading but I noticed that during the setting up of the 2.6.32-5 kernel that the flashing failed due to (output message):

Running update-initramfs.
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-ixp4xx
Running flash-kernel.
The ramdisk doesn't fit in flash.
User postinst hook script [flash-kernel] exited with value 1

I noticed that the kernel plus the initrd added up to about 7.9M and so it should fit. The exact values are:

6874 -rw------- 1 root root 7009337 Feb 18 10:45 initrd.img-2.6.32-5-ixp4xx
1231 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1253416 Jan 12 18:23 vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-ixp4xx

I tracked down a previous (2008) occurrence here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-arm@lists.debian.org/msg07636.html

I don't really want to reboot as is when the upgrade finishes since the flash is in a bad state. I could update the flash from the 2.6.26-2 kernel which I assume will flash. I also have a backup of the flash from before the start of the upgrade.

Any ideas as to what is happening? The upgrade otherwise is progressing just fine.

Thanks for any help.

-jeff