Re: dpkg armhf patch acceptance status?

Hi Luke,

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 12:06:27AM +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> sorry, markos - and again, apologies to all, but i am actually now
> getting deeply concerned.

> allow me to ask you this, markos.  why, if someone says, "i have an
> idea that could help you, and could help the debian project in
> general, it's complex, it's been misunderstood frequently in the past
> (not necessarily by you, personally and specifically), but i'd like to
> re-iterate in the context of this discussion how that idea may help",
> would you then say "your whole idea's s**t"? :)

> to illustrate, with some questions, why i am concerned at the response received:

> * are you, markos, pleased to be the sole exclusive developer on the
> armhf project, such that you wish to retain complete control of it
> until such time as it is finished?

> * are you, markos, *wishing* to impose stress and pressure onto debian
> developers, specifically the dpkg team?

I think you are working from a buggy assumption here.  The problem is not
that infrastructure is lacking to let Konstantinos et al. get on with making
an armhf port out of the Debian archive; the problem is that they are
currently blocked on getting armhf *into* the Debian archive, because that
requires agreement with the dpkg maintainers about how dpkg should behave to
recognize this new architecture.

You may be right that a bitbake-compatible git repository is the absolute
slickest way to nearly effortlessly maintain a delta against a distribution.
But it doesn't actually matter if you're right about this, because "nearly
effortless" is not "zero work", and it's *not* sustainable to carry a delta
in the long term - which is why the (right) goal is to merge the armhf work
into Debian so that there *isn't* a delta.

Bitbake doesn't help with that goal; the only way to help that goal is to
have the sometimes-difficult conversations with the Debian maintainers that
let us arrive at a consensus about how these things should be put together.

Which is what this thread is about. :)

Thanks,