Re: dpkg armhf patch acceptance status?

Loïc's latest post drew my attention back to this thread, where I see I had
this message flagged for follow-up:

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 09:35:24AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

> > I realize this is ideal, but:

> >  - there's been very strong upstream pushback on this, asserting that this
> >    is the correct triplet to use for both arm calling conventions, so if we
> >    require a distinct triplet for armhf (instead of using the vendor field),
> >    that's going to block any armhf port for quite a while (possibly
> >    indefinitely)

> >  - armhf was not the sole motivation for the proposal to define neutral
> >    architecture names; x86 was already a problem because of the changing
> >    triplets depending on which level of instruction set compatibility is
> >    targeted.  *Both* of these examples show that GNU triplets are not
> >    defined in a way that they map directly to what we need for multiarch, so
> >    it's best to explicitly define our mapping externally.

> > So even if you persuaded the upstream toolchain folks to specify a new
> > triplet for armhf after all, I think we should still go ahead with a
> > separate name mapping table for multiarch.

> Note that uclibc also suffers this problems. x86_64-linux-uclibc is in
> no way unique as different uclibc compile options create different ABIs
> all with the same tripplet.

We have a draft proposal for tuples to use in the filesystem paths for
multiarch: http://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/Tuples

uclibc is included in the design, with a single identifier of 'uclibc'.  We
probably need to have a better definition here.  Where is the right place to
raise this point for discussion in Debian?  Should I bring this up on the
debian-embedded list?  Are there other stakeholders who would have input
regarding the array of available uclibc ABIs and how to specify these?

Thanks,