Re: Anyone here made a "TV computer"?

On 04/11/11 17:50, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 1:32 PM, David Given <dg@cowlark.com> wrote:
[...]
>> Well, I know why *I* would get one: it's cheap.
>
>  would you be interested in anything that has a higher bang-per-buck
> ratio?  or just cheaper?  (or both)

Absolutely! Note that I was *criticising*, merely pointing out different
value frameworks.

>  details on the allwinner A10 are emerging, but they include:
[...]
>  so, what would you be prepared to pay for something with the above
> specs, especially given that it will have the GPL source code
> available in advance, and you'd have an indirect line to the
> manufacturer and the factory to get relevant questions answered if you
> wanted "in" at the very early stages.

Hmm. $0-$50, I'd probably fling cash at you. $50-$100, out of my
spending bracket for toys so would need to consider my precise
requirements. >$100, I'd still be interested but would probably wait for
the next iteration to make sure that no nasty first gen faults appeared.
All subject to shipping, of course.

My particular use case is that I run cowlark.com off a single
SheevaPlug, which is doing a sterling job but suffers badly from too
much I/O going down its single USB2 port, and isn't a particularly meaty
processor to begin with. I'd very much like to upgrade to something
with, like, an FPU.

[...]
>  *sigh* it's a matter of power.  the architecture of separate ICs
> (usually northbridge/southbridge) simply doesn't work for this level
> of ultra-low-power.

I was actually rather thinking of integrated GPUs; I'm aware the
external ones suck, being mostly designed for the PC market where you're
only cool if your PC is doubling as a space heater.

For my day job I do a lot of work with the more exotic Android devices
(including MIPS ones). The one thing these all have in common is the
total lack of quality of the vendor-provided OpenGL stacks. Prior to
Android Gingerbread, for example, it was trivial to crash the entire
phone by e.g. for one chipset, calling glReadPixels() on a 32-bit EGL
config. (Gingerbread's much more robust. I've had a few strange reboots
but nothing I could replicate.)

and Symbian and things are even worse; you'll probably end up with them
curled up in a corner.

So (even though I don't have an immediate requirement for one), the idea
of a GPU, integrated or otherwise, which has a properly open source GL
stack where these bugs can be *found* and *fixed* is very attractive.
Plus, of course, if there's a programmable shader pipeline, having a
documented ISA for the GPU processor makes it easier to abuse.

│
│ "Under communism, man exploits man. Under capitalism, it's just the
│ opposite." --- John Kenneth Galbrith