Re: Anyone here made a "TV computer"?

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 10:34 PM, David Given <dg@cowlark.com> wrote:
> On 03/11/11 18:53, Wookey wrote:
> [...]
>> This caused me to note that Geexbox 2.0 has support from some ARM
>> boards (and have images for pandaboard and Harmony). I'll try that on
>> my panda forthwith (I was a big fan of geexbox 1.0 and used it for
>> several years).
>
> The new Raspberry Pi sounds ideal for this sort of thing; 700MHz ARM11
> with 128MB RAM, decent GPU with all sorts of media acceleration engines,
> 1080p and composite video out, USB, SD, for $25, or $35 if you want
> ethernet and twice as much RAM.
>
> Unfortunately the GPU's a Broadcom, so actually getting making *use* of
> all that hardware may be an issue, which is a shame, as allegedly
> there's 24GFlops of processing power there. The Pi people say they're
> working on trying to get access to the proprietary features, but I don't
> know the details.

 yeahhh... i did wonder about that.  why would people on the
freedombox lists recommend a product where the GPU is less-documented
and more-proprietary than the marvell one that they're already
struggling with?

 and, why would _any_ free software developer buy one of these
raspberry pi devices?  have people not learned the lesson of the OLPC
using marvell proprietary stuff, where marvell couldn't fulfil their
promises to release the re-programmed WIFI code because it used a
proprietary microkernel that marvell themselves didn't actually write?

 doh!

 i noo unnerstaaand... :)

l.