Re: Debian GNU/Linux on tablet hardware

Rob van der Hoeven <robvanderhoeven <at> ziggo.nl> writes:
> > > I think the hardware of this tablet can also be used as a server or
> > > desktop computer. The tablet is mass produced and very cheap (i got mine
> > > for 149 euro).

> > For that price, to make a server, I would rather buy a loco board or any
> > other development board

> These boards are not mass produced which makes them relatively
> expensive.

The i.MX LOCO board, the OMAP panda board, and some of the others cost about the
same as your tablet.

> Hardware that is not mass produced has some other issues,
> namely availability and vendor lock-in

You think that your tablet is going to have better availability and less lock-in
than a board from Freescale or TI?  That seems unlikely to me.  Look at the
BeagleBoard; it would be hard to find any smartphone or tablet device that has
been available for as long as that has.

> I think it must be possible to buy an android motherboard for just a
> fraction of the price that i paid for my tablet.

Why do you think that?  I have personally never seen an "Android motherboard"
offered for sale at all, let alone for a low price.

> Why is relying on
> hardware with a SoC such a bad idea? If the SoC is popular it will not
> go out of production for a long time.

No, that's not how it works.  Both popular and unpopular chips are replaced on a
schedule that's determined by advances in manufacturing technology.  This also
applies to the consumer products that are made from them: even if a device is
popular, it will soon be replaced with something that is faster and cheaper.

Regards,  Phil.