Re: Debian GNU/Linux on tablet hardware

Rob van der Hoeven <robvanderhoeven@ziggo.nl> writes:

> Hi,

> Recently i bought a very nice tablet with the following specifications:
>
> Chipset   : InfoTMIC IMAPX210 ARM11
> Speed     : 1000 MHz
> Memory    : 512 MB
> Storage   : 4 GB.
> Expansion : MicroSD™ expandable up to 64 GB total (2 x 32 GB)

I may be wrong but iirc, imapx210 is yet an other cheap cinese arm SoC
with *no* support in mainline kernel. This means that you may be able to
use a chroot or you can try booting debian armel with the kernel
provided on the system but not use a full debian armel (kernel+userspace
and maybe uboot). Expect also some troubles if it requires proprietary
drivers to work.
I can't say more as the way to do it and troubles you'll get into are
system specifics.

> Connectivity:
>
> 2 x USB host
> 1 x RJ45 Ethernet (100 MHz)
> Mini HDMI 1.3 out
> 3.5 mm audio out
>
> Full specs:
>
> http://www.yarvik.com/en/products/tablets/tablets_10/TAB410/
>
> I think the hardware of this tablet can also be used as a server or
> desktop computer. The tablet is mass produced and very cheap (i got mine
> for 149 euro). Maybe we can order only the circuit board and build a
> nice Debian GNU/Linux ARM computer around it?

For that price, to make a server, I would rather buy a loco board or any
other development board rather than relying on hardware with a SoC
without manual and support in mainline kernel. For desktop, things may
be more complicated as most gpu on arm SoC are relying on proprietary
drivers for 2d/3d.

Arnaud