Re: Do I want to debootstrap Debian armhf on my iMX53 board?

lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca wrote:
On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 05:10:45PM +0100, Phil Endecott wrote:
lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca wrote:
>On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 04:17:22PM +0100, Phil Endecott wrote:
>>Right, that's the doc that I couldn't find a minute ago.
>
>Section 5.14:
>http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/user_guide/IMX53QSBRM.pdf

Right.

>The pull up is only there BECAUSE the dip switch isn't.  If the dipswitch
>was there it wouldn't be needed since the dip switch takes care of it all.

Are you sure?  The way I read that page, you have to do (1) AND (2),
i.e. fit the DIP switch AND move R46.  Are you suggesting that it's
an OR, and that the resistor doesn't need to be moved if the switch
is fitted?

No my reading is that you are moving R46 so that you use the dipswitch
instead of the fixed pullup.  To make the dip switch work you have to
move the "hard coded" resistor.  I see no mention of moving resistors
when setting different settings on the dip switch (which would be silly
after all), so if the dip switch had been preinstalled and the resister
pre configured for dip switch use, then life would have been much much
simpler.

OK, I think I see what you're saying; you're making a hypothetical comment about how it cold have been done differently. In practice, though, given the boards that we currently have, we need to both add the dip switch and move the resistor in order to boot from SATA. This moves the required skills from something that I could probably do (adding the switch) to something that is beyond my soldering "comfort zone".

Phil.