Re: Freescale iMX53 Quick Start board

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 01:42:33PM +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>  ok... yes, i can ask.
>
>  question (for everyone): if there existed a board which used a
> single-core 800mhz Cortex A9, maximum hard limit of 512mb RAM, but
> also had SATA-II and 10/100 Ethernet, would it be of interest, and how
> much would you pay for it?  similar spec / design / size / interfaces
> as the pandaboard, origen etc. just with a single-core Cortex A9
> rather than dual-core.

I would think a 1GHz single core Cortex A8 with 1GB ram and SATA 1 would
be preferable to 512MB ram and 200MHz less speed.  Not sure how the A8
and A9 cores compare though.  Not having enough ram always sucks.
SATA 1 is still plenty for most harddisks these days.  100Mbit ethernet
is OK in general, even though gigabit is always nice.

>  the CPU i have in mind is the AML-8726-M (which is fantastic but is
> hardware-limited to 512mb RAM) and i am in contact with an ODM/OEM
> whom i believe i could persuade to create such a board if there is
> sufficient interest in purchasing it.  i've already explained to them
> that there are benefits to them i.e. Free Software Developers en-masse
> writing software based around the board etc. etc.

Personally if I was buying one (and I am thinking of doing that), the
choice between the i.MX53 with 1GB ram versus something with 512MB ram,
I would get the i.MX53.

--
Len Sorensen