Re: [Arm-netbook] Freescale iMX53 Quick Start board

Gordan Bobic wrote:
[...]
> The overheating is muchly exaggerated. The white ones - same CPU/ARM,
> but no eSATA plumbed in (you can solder it on, though), have no fan in
> them. I have one, and it's regularly used for a few days' worth of
> compiling jobs at a time, and yes, it gets quite warm, but after over a
> year of hammering it hasn't failed. The ones I linked above have a fan
> and I am not aware of any PSU failure issues due to heat.

Actually, I've got a Sheevaplug. (I even tried Bitcoin mining on it
once: I got 0.1 khashes per second...)

It's *almost* excellent. What's wrong with it is that the USB chipset is
a bit dodgy and under heavy loads will produce sporadic failures and
other weirdnesses, such as devices dropping off the bus, I/O errors,
etc. Recently the whole device has started locking up every couple of
weeks as the root filesystem vanishes. (I have a firm rumour from Some
Guy I Met At A Party that this is a chronic issue with the Marvell USB
chipset.)

I've looked at the GuruPlug, which would be ideal except for the heat
and noise problems, and I've looked at the DreamPlug, which is slightly
less ideal but expensive. Currently the SheevaPlug SATA is the most
suited for my purposes out of that family.

But given that the Kirkwood chipset is quite slow (it's a descendent of
the StrongARM family), and Cortex devices are now just as cheap if not
cheaper and quite a lot more powerful, I'm interested in upgrading to
one of them. Right now the iMX53 looks my best bet, though I'm really
hankering after an A9...

PS. *Please* don't cc me if you're mailing the list! I don't need two
copies! What happened to 'reply to list' buttons in mailers?

│ "I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my
│ telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out
│ how to use my telephone." --- Bjarne Stroustrup