Re: Freescale iMX53 Quick Start board

On Aug 8, 2011, at 17:32, David Given wrote:

> Jeremiah Foster wrote:
> [...]
>> I just have a "developers" model. Here's a link to a couple pictures of the machine I have FWIW;
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeremiah_foster/6021909246/
>
> Seems to be locked --- when I try to view the image it prompts me for a
> login.
>
> [...]
>> That may be the case in fact. Is there something like lspci or similar which would confirm that?
>
> Both lspci and lsusb ought to work.

$ lspci
00:00.0 Non-VGA unclassified device: nVidia Corporation Device 0bf0 (rev a0)
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 03)

$ lsusb
- -bash: lsusb: command not found

Couldn't find the lsusb package in the Ubuntu repos that are currently being used;
deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports maverick main universe

Note that nvidia is not part of Linaro and is not exactly the biggest fan of free software.

> I've found this, which claims to be a TrimSlice bootup dmesg:
>
> http://pastebin.com/3YtRAWKX

Here's mine;
http://pastebin.com/853C7R5G

> It doesn't mention SATA anywhere, and does show a mass storage USB device...
>
> What's it actually like to use in practice? What's the SSD performance like?

The CPU is peppy, very nice machine. I could see it being a desktop replacement in some cases, or a machine in between a thin client and a desktop. A little buggy perhaps and lacking software due to the fact that the OS is a fork of a fork of Debian and not necessarily maintained. I haven't connected a screen to it yet.

Overall I'd have to say this is a pretty nice piece of kit.

Regards,

Jeremiah