Re: mtd errors on boot OpenRD "ultimate"

Rick Thomas <rbthomas@pobox.com> wrote:

> For a few seconds during the boot process on my OpenRD "ultimate",
> running Debian Squeeze, I get hundreds of messages in syslog like this:
>
> Buffer I/O error on device mtdblock0, logical block 0
> Buffer I/O error on device mtdblock0, logical block 8
> end_request: I/O error, dev mtdblock0, sector 0
> end_request: I/O error, dev mtdblock0, sector 128
> end_request: I/O error, dev mtdblock0, sector 16
> end_request: I/O error, dev mtdblock0, sector 64
> end_request: I/O error, dev mtdblock0, sector 8
> loop: module loaded
> uncorrectable error :
>
> Does anybody know what causes them?  Is there anything I can (or
> should) do about them?

If I am right it's because u-boot does not support (or uses a different
ECC method) for the NAND to Linux.  When Linux reads blocks from the
NAND the ECC check fails and you get an IO error.

The messages are harmless though for mtdblock0 and mtdblock1, it's only
if they appear on mtdblock2 should you get worried :)

Cheers

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: Anything is possible on paper.