Re: GCC-4.5 as the default for (at least some) architectures

On 04/26/2011 09:28 PM, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 08:51:04PM +0200, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 05:03:01PM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
I'll make GCC 4.6 the
default after the release of GCC 4.5.3, expected later this week, at
least on amd64, armel, i386 and powerpc.

If you do the switch, please also add mips and mipsel, that would avoid
you to have to complain in two weeks that these architectures have not
yet been switched.

Is there a reason not to switch the remaining (release) arches
(ia64, kfreebsd-*, sparc, s390)?  Maybe hurd-i386 too?

I don't know, and I will not invest time to check. If you did check, and if you are confident to fix issues on these architectures, then please tell here.

At least for other ports this seems to be possible (s390: Bastian Blank, kfreebsd-*: Aurelian, Petr).

I assume you want to release with at least 4.6 on all arches as
the default, so I see no point in waiting with switching if
there are no known issues.

I will not work on toolchain issues specific to these architectures for the wheezy release, so if nobody steps forward, then at least I will not change the default for these architectures.

  Matthias