Re: Debian ARM architectures and subarchitectures

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 2:03 PM, Arnaud Patard <arnaud.patard@rtp-net.org> wrote:
> Hector Oron <hector.oron@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello,
> Hi,
>

>>   I am not sure how current Debian subarchitectures map to. Is it just
>> a giving name? Do they map to platform devices in linux kernel? Do
>> they map to machine devices?
>
> I've not checked but I guess it's following the name of the mach-*
> directories in the kernel.
>

>>   If I were to add support for Freescales' i.MX51 cores, which would
>> be the agreed subarchitecture?
>>   * mx51
>>   * mx5
>>   * mx5x
>>   * imx51
>>   * imx5
>>   * imx5x
>
> I would say mx5 as in mach-mx5 in the kernel but someone needs to check
> if it's really possible to have mx50/mx51/mx53 in same kernel. I
> remember some people on l-a-k ml saying it was not possible.

 ignore what i wrote - arnaud's making a good point.  bizarre as the
discrepancy between the official name from freescale and the choice by
lakml to drop the "i" is, following the exact same choice made by the
linux kernel team(s) makes a lot more sense than inventing something
from arbitrary choice.

 l.