Re: Debian on SS400-E

H <hans <at> lambermont.dyndns.org> writes:

> chris wilkinson wrote on 20110324:
>
> > I have a confusion about installing Debian on this NAS device. I'd like to
do
> > that and there are instructions on the list to follow but I don't want to
> > remove the usual NAS functionality.
>
> Why ?
>
> I've installed Debian on my NAS and I'm very happy with it. The device
> is now finally functioning as it should have from the beginning, feature
> wise that is, as others have noted performance is sad but that's no real
> issue to me.

Sounds like you suceeded to do what I'd like to do, i.e. install Debian
alongside, without destroying the NAS functions.

Would you be able to summarize the steps you followed?

Performance is no real issue for me either, I just want to serve media over my
local network to a Roku+Roksbox media player. Roxbox looks for a webserver, so
Apache will do the job. I did this for a Buffalo Linkstation LS2-MIPSEL NAS
and it works fine but it's only small.

See http://buffalo.nas-
central.org/wiki/Precompiled_C_development_environment,_running_on_the_LS