qcontrol development

Hi all,

I have successfully installed squeeze on my QNAP TS-210.
Until now I like it very much. More then the standard software, as i
have more freedom now and don't need all the extras except standard
file sharing.

The only thing is fan control, I would like to have it controlled
automatically. The reason is that my QNAP lives on the upper level of
the house, the temperature of the level can rise a lot in the summer.
To controle the QNAP's fan can be done with qcontrol, but it doesn't
run like a daemon and doesn't control the fan automatically. You have
to control the fan by hand.
It seems very simple to me to extend the application with automatic
fan control, because it also reports system temperature.

As a developer, I would like to contribute to the qcontrol application
by extending it with automatic fan control and make it a real daemon.
The problem is that i don't want to install developer tools on the
QNAP. I use the QNAP at home for photo and document sharing and my
family depends that it is available when they need it.

I also have an old P4 running squeeze on it, can i some how build the
qcontrol executable on an i386 with another target architecture?
Because I already build the last sources of qcontrol on the P4, but
the executable doesn't run on the QNAP (I have the build param -aarmel
specified)?

Are there any public developer machines available (or virtual
machines) to build armel executables?

Can someone where to find documentation how to code a proper linux daemon?

Thanks in advance!

Bas.