Re: pb when upgrading debian on sheeva "bad magic number" or "kernel panic"

Laurent Lesage <laurent@lesagepono.be> writes:

> Hi Martin,
Hi,

> Martin Michlmayr a écrit :
>> * Laurent Lesage <laurent@lesagepono.be> [2010-11-15 18:04]:
>>
>>> I'm quite new at using sheeva plug.
>>> I installed the debian system using the tar ball of MArtin Michlmayr, on
>>> an SD card.
>>> When I did an upgrade, I could not reboot : I had a "bad maigic number"
>>> on the console, or, if the card was actually loaded, it hangs with a
>>> "kernel panic".
>>>

>> Please post the full boot log (u-boot and Linux) as well as the output
>> of "printenv" from u-boot.
>>

> the printenv and boot log is attached.
>
> Please note this : I thought I had some problem with SD card reader and
> tried to use an usb key in place of SD card. I noticed that the system
> was far more reactive than with a SD card. And I had no problem reading
> the USB key -I had some with SD card and that seemed to cause the "bad
> magic number" problem. But finally, when booting after upgrading the
> kernel, I had the same problem. That's what you can see on the logs.
> ("null pointer")
>
> There are some error on some sectors in /dev/mtdblock0 : may be a
> hardware problem???
>
> If I do not make an upgrade, the systems seems to work fine, but I
> haven't tested a long time (just a few hours).

hmmm... I guess that  you may need to run flash-kernel manually or
something like that. Browse the list archive for ipv6 related crashed, I
guess you'll find the one similar to yours. The mv_cesa one may be caused
by the same thing.

Martin, feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong.

Arnaud